Search This Blog

Amazon Store

Translate

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Book and a Candy Craft

Warning:  Reader Spoiler Alert






The book has nothing to do with the craft, or maybe it could have something to do with it. Anyways, I read this book called "The Seventeen Second Miracle" by Jason F. Wright. It's a pretty new book it just came out in October 2010. While the book doesn't make it to my list of recommended reads*, it was still pretty good, an easy read and was written well.

I had a teacher who used to make us write a lesson we learned from the book on our book reports. I thought that was a bit strange then, but I ended up realizing how much you can actually learn from books. High School also taught me to be analytical. I used to hate analyzing the books. I just read the book for the story and an escape from reality, but it seems like I still analyze the stories I read now.

Back to the book, this books message seems pretty clear cut to me. It's message is what compelled me to tell you about it. The message is simple, but I guess we all need a wake up call now and then. It's message is about how just spending a few seconds helping another, or even giving a compliment can change someone's life. It's about accepting people who may look or be different in some way, are still people. It's about how in reality people are not so accepting of others who are different. The message that I feel people should take away is just because people may look or act different than you doesn't mean they can't be a good friend. Take a few seconds to help an old lady with her bags, hold open the door for someone else, give someone a compliment. Reach out and get to know someone you don't know so well, whatever you can think of, it doesn't even have to be something big. You never know how you can impact someone else's life.

*It's really hard to get on my recommended books list, that doesn't mean a book is not good. It's just not really a MUST READ. It can still be an enjoyable book.

Now for the candy craft.


Roses





Just in time for Shabbos. This craft can also be used for Shavuos.

I used fruit roll up and skewers. There are 2 methods of doing this the second method will require a sharp knife and an optional circle cookie cutter.

First Method-produces 1 rose
1. Cut the fruit roll up into thirds


2. Wrap one third around while folding/fanning edges out and making sure it sticks to the skewer.
There you should have your first rose





Second Method-produces 2 roses
This is basically the Duff Rose method.
1. Cut out with cookie cutter 3 circles (can use a knife and trace around cup)


2. Overlap the 3 circles

3. Roll up ( make sure the circles stick to each other while rolling)
4. Cut in half
5. Fan out petals on the roses.
6. Attach to skewers, cupcakes etc.



This can also be done with taffies (although they may need a few seconds in the microwave-not too much or they may explode). I've used apple heads in a plastic shot glass to hold the taffy flowers in place. I had these interesting green laffy taffies which I just shaped into leaves and attached it.  I also added plastic flowers. I'll try to add the pic as soon as I can access it.

Here they are:







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and appreciate all comments. I read each and every one. So please leave me some positive comments.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...